Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati Historic Firsts
1809 - St. Elizabeth Bayley Seton founded the American Sisters of Charity in Emmitsburg, Md.
1829 - Four Sisters arrive from Emmitsburg to open St. Peter’s Girl’s Orphan Asylum and School – first religious congregation to become established in Cincinnati and in Ohio
1842 - Sisters assume charge of St. Aloyius Boy’s Orphan Asylum; withdrew 1846
1852 - Seven Sisters made the decision to establish the independent congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati under Mother Margaret George.
1852 - Founded St. John’s, later Good Samaritan, Hospital, the first Catholic Hospital in Cincinnati
1854 - Established Mount St. Vincent Motherhouse and Academy
1857 - Founded St. Mary’s Academy in Dayton, Ohio – first mission outside Cincinnati
1858-59 - Trained novices in preparation for beginning of Sisters of Charity of St. Elizabeth in Newark, New Jersey
1861-65 - Sisters served as Civil War nurses.
1865 - Founded St. Vincent’s Hospital in Santa Fe, New Mexico Territory – first hospital in New Mexico Territory
1870 - Founded St. Joseph Academy in Trinidad, Colorado
1870 - Assisted in the establishment of the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill
1873 - Founded St. Joseph Infant and Maternity Home in Cincinnati
1873 - Founded first Catholic co-educational high school at St. James in Bay City, Michigan
1884 - Mount St. Joseph established as Motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati.
1897 - Founded Santa Maria Italian Educational and Institutional Home for immigrants, the first Catholic settlement house, under the direction of Sisters Blandina and Justina Segale.
1915 - Began staffing the residential St. Rita School for the Deaf
1920 - Founded College of Mount St. Joseph on-the-Ohio
1926 - Became a Congregation of Pontifical Rite
1928 - Sisters opened first foreign mission in Wuchang, China, where they remained until Communist takeover in 1948.
1930 - Welcomed members of the Pious Union of Our Lady of Good Counsel, a religious society for deaf and hard-of-hearing women, when it was forced to dissolve.
1940s-50s - Post World War II baby and building boom led to new parish schools, hospitals and a move into retreat and day care programs.
1941 - Sister Eugene Marie Carpe worked with doctors in doing the first exchange transfusion in a “blue baby” in Cincinnati
1945 - Opened El Pomar Retreat House in Colorado Springs, the first Catholic retreat house west of the Mississippi
1951 - Sisters sent to staff Villa Nazareth Orphanage in Rome, a home for gifted poor Italian boys
1960s - Second Vatican Council caused period of renewal - changes in ministries, names, clothing, lifestyles.
1961 - Sent Sisters to open missions in Huancane and Lima, Peru
1961 - Sisters today work in education, health care, pastoral and social services in 23 U.S. states and in Guatemala.
1975 - Started Associates in Mission program
1979 - Sisters of Charity Health Care Systems (SCHCS) established under the leadership of Sister Grace Marie Hiltz
1985 - Founded Eldermount adult day program, one of the first in Ohio
1996 - SCHCS was a founding member of Cathilic Health Initiatives (CHI)
2004 - Members of the Vincentian Sisters of Charity joined with the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati to become one congregation