Poverty, Homelessness and Food Insecurity Justice Circle
Our Circle focuses both on hands-on service and on advocacy for systemic change:
For hands-on service, we have
- Collected canned goods for food pantries at events and celebrations of Sisters and Associates
- Grown fresh veggies in our gardens and given them to food pantries this summer
- attended a memorial vigil for homeless individuals who died in the past year
For Advocacy, we have
- Kept track of efforts to build affordable housing in Delhi and around Cincinnati
- Written letters to Congress in support of the Farm Bill and the Food Stamp program
- Begun monitoring proposed local, state and national legislation limiting large corporations trying to buy up local housing
- Worked on a petition to fund the Affordable Housing Trust Fund
We also offer prayer and education opportunities
- With the Earth Justice Circle, we collaborated during Lent on daily prayer postings and a longer prayer service focused on poverty
- We are beginning to compile a library of books on poverty, homelessness, and food insecurity and hope to invite speakers on these topics.
- For Catholic social teaching on poverty, homelessness, and food insecurity, click here [link to resources below]
We welcome new members – both to our Circle meetings, which are generally once a month on a Friday morning, to help with our activities, or simply to support us in prayer.
Contact S. Pat Wittberg (email@example.com) for more information about this circle and if you would like join.